What does the term "Non-Denominational" mean?
Non-denominational churches are those that are not under the control or jurisdiction of a larger national or international governing body. This can have both positive and negative consequences; the positive consequences are that a church has more liberty to worship as conscience dictates without the outside pressure from a higher authority which may be interested in seeing traditions and organizational culture and norms preserved than in adhering to biblical principles.
On the other hand, national and international bodies can sometimes have a positive influence on the local church, by requiring the church to carefully examine any "new" doctrines or practices before implementing them. This positive peer pressure is beneficial in helping a church avoid the pitfalls of false doctrine. For this reason, it is important that non-denominational churches seek out fellowship from other non-denominational or denominationally affiliated churches. This fellowship helps the non-denominational church to avoid the isolation that can widen fissures within the larger body of Christ.
Many, but not all, non-denominational churches are Charismatic or Pentecostal in nature. A few (though the number is growing) are more Calvinist (Baptist, Presbyterian, etc.) in nature. Very few of these churches include the phrase "non-denominational" in the official church name, though they are often located in the non-denominational churches category in the telephone directory.
Partial List of Greenville Non-Denominational Churches in South Carolina
More Greenville Non-Denominational Churches
- NewStart Church, 421 Dallas Road, Greenville, SC 29607 (864) 248-6500
- Bethel Bible Missionary Church, 28 Bob Street, Greenville, SC
- Catalyst Church, 3535 Pelham Road, Greenville, SC
- Christian Outreach, 2414 Wade Hampton Blvd, Greenville, SC
- Covenant Life Outreach Church, 107 Ambrose Trail, Greenville, SC
- Dominion Community Church, 900 Gap Creek Road, Greenville, SC
- Dominion World Ministries, 1900 Old Buncombe Road, Greenville, SC
- Evangelistic Temple Church, 9 Beth Drive, Greenville, SC
- Everlasting Covenant Church, 34 Stevens Street, Greenville, SC
- Faith Family Fellowship, 123 Columbia Avenue, Greenville, SC